1. I was home sick on Wednesday with the stomach bug that has been going around for months. I don’t know how I evaded it for so long, but it was gross and I whined and cried like a 3 year old. So of course I called my mom and cried to her on the phone. That helped, as did her (always) smart advice to drink some tea and go back to sleep. Mom’s are the best ( as was Q who clearly did not know what to do with a crying girlfriend throwing a sick induced tantrum). Also, there is a good chance it actually *wasn’t* the stomach flu, but bad wine.
2. I’m in the middle of listening to Laura Hillenbrand’s Unbroken on my commute and it’s one of the best nonfiction books I’ve “read” in years. Highly recommend– it’s fast paced, well-researched, and overall, a great read. I’m very interested in World War II ( my undergrad thesis was on women nurses during the war) and the book has long been on my reading list. I’m glad I got to it before the Angelina Jolie movie comes out and ruined everything for me ( though I did see a news report on the film production a few months back, so I sort of knew what to expect).
3. Today Q and my brother are embarking on a small construction project at my parent’s house to finally finish a project my Dad started in the summer/fall and never finished. While I’m very happy they’re doing this together for my Mom and having some bonding time, I’m also sort of nervous for the process, though I have no doubt they’ll get it done — just wishing I could be a fly on the wall to watch what I am sure will be comedic construction antics!
4. Here in New England, spring is playing mind games with us weather wise, which is fine ( well minus the fact it’s still been chilly at night and the heat keeps going on), but in the manner of #firstworldproblems, I’m struggling with transitional dressing. Added to the fact that my place of work is directly on the ocean, meaning sometimes a 10-15 degree difference of temps from everyone else. I feel like I’m wearing the same 5 outfits over and over. Today I dared to go out in a dress without tights, leggings, or socks. I only got as far as my front porch before running back in to put leggings on. I’m antsy for my summer clothes!
5. Last night my mother gifted my Dad’s motorcycle to my cousin. As my parent’s only nephew and someone who is in to cars/mechanics, it was definitely the right home for the bike, which my Dad loved but was very cautious on ( he only rode in town and never on the highway). Seeing the smile on my cousin’s face was just so awesome and it makes my heart so happy for a million reasons, but mostly because I know my Dad would love that something he liked so much is going to someone he cared so much about. It’s times like this that the sadness is there, but it takes on a new sense of closure and peace to know that my Dad’s legacy lives on in many ways and with different people.
5.5 This weekend is for cleaning– we went last weekend to the DeCordova Scuplture Park and Ikea since the weather was nice and it’s supposed to rain tomorrow.
Hope everyone has a great last weekend of April!!