The funny thing about practicing gratitude is how easily it becomes a part of your life. I believe very strongly that being mindful of what I was thankful/blessed with is one of the few things that helped me through the hell of a separation/divorce/life rebuilding. There were days when it was a struggle to think of 5 things that I was thankful for- some of the darkest and saddest days included things like my comfy sweatpants, not running out of tissues, or having a Walgreens near my house to buy cookie dough at. But the list would often be more than 5 things and slowly made me realize that my situation was just temporary and would change. Now I find that there is so much I am blessed with in life and keeping this perspective is what gets me through bad days still. I don’t think it’s as a cheery as always being optimistic or looking on the bright side, but more just a reminder that no matter how bad things seem, there is always something positive and wonderful about a day in one’s life. As things have turned around for me and I’m starting over, the act of taking time to practice gratitude has become an essential part of my day. Even when I don’t remember to write them all down, I make sure to say thank you to people in either small or big ways, hold doors for strangers, and other small acts of kindness that help me remember there is so much to be thankful for.
Lately I’m grateful for….
- Having someone make me coffee in the morning. It’s such a small and simple thing, but my man saves me a good few minutes in my morning running around by turning the machine on. Also, somehow coffee made by him always tastes a million times better.
- My coworkers. I’m incredibly blessed to work with some awesome people.
- Quiet nights in with good books and some of my favorite shows.
- Good, comfortable, cute flats.
- The return of soup season.
- My family & especially my friends who have become family.
- Audio books
- Native squash
- Purging through closets, basement and house and finding new homes for my stuff which I no longer need.
- Peace of mind
What flats do you wear? I’m always hunting for styles that fit all 3 of those criteria!
Naturalizers, Aerosoles, and LifeStrides have become my go to brands- I’ve been hitting up Famous Footwear, but the outlets have great deals too. I always used to joke & call them old lady brands, but their styles are contemporary and my feet thank me!