This title makes me giggle a little bit because I was always the smart arse kid who when asked what my age was would say “7 and 3/4!”
I’ve been in my thirties for almost 6 months now and it has been some of the most fun of my life, but also filled with a lot of thinking about life and what comes next. This milestone birthday comes on the heels of a few up and down years, so it feels good to be on the other side of it and thinking great, big things for my new decade in life.
But, there are some things I’ve noticed that make me feel my age too.
- The other day I was on the T in Boston and a teenage kid halfway down the OTHER SIDE of the train was listening to his music with earphones on AND I COULD HEAR IT FROM MY SEAT VERY CLEARLY. This made me think 2 things- 1. Really!??! Does it have to be that loud!?! And 2. He’s going to ruin his hearing. Both of these lines of thinking then led me to think #3- wow, I’m getting old ( and sound like my mother- sorry Mom!)
- No one told me that at some point, all those years of wearing 4 inch heels would lead to some foot and hip issues. OK they might have told me, but I never listened. All I can say is every morning when my feet hit the floor when getting out of bed, I am in for an ache and a few minutes of wobbling. Wearing flats more often has helped, as has walking more, but since I haven’t totally abandoned me heels ( a doctor is going to have to pry them off me before I give them up completely), I am trying very hard to be better to my feet.
- It’s really hard to make new friends, keep up old friendships that change, or find a social life when everyone is busy with work, life, and families. This is also kind of tough when you don’t have kids and all friends with kids get together to do kiddie things. I know this is something a lot of women ( and men too!) struggle with at this age, and I feel like it’s some dirty secret of late 20s and early 30s hood. A lot of the things people suggest to make new pals are cost prohibitive to me right now, but I’m trying, plus I know I need to reach out and be a better friend to those already in my circle too.
- When you read about the MTV Video Music Awards, the only people you’ll recognize is the “surprise” reunion band.
- I have a budget, I stick by it. I regularly talk about my mortgage and retirement plan ( though mostly to complain about not having money and being in student loan debt til I’m 60).
- I take vitamins daily, can no longer eat raw onions without heartburn, and worry about calcium intake.
- My intern this summer was born in 1990. More than once when my officemate and I were talking about toys or TV shows of our youth, she had no clue what we were talking about. This might be the hardest one to handle of all!
- Speaking of which, the whole Nancy Kerrigan getting whacked in the knee by Tonya Harding happened 20 YEARS AGO. WHAT!?!?
What random things make you feel your age lately?